Registered Nurse (RN) – Nursery NICU
HCA Houston West - Houston, Texas
Job Code: 00417-99441
Nights (rotating weekends)
- Under the general supervision of the Director and Manager of Maternal Child Department the Registered Nurse in the Nursery is responsible for the provision of safe, effective care of the newborn.
- Assumes responsibility for all Nursery functions during the designated shift.
- Makes patient assignments based on staff competencies and patient acuity.
- Functions as a resource person for staff members and assists in necessary education of individual members of the nursing staff.
- Assumes responsibility for the overall quality of nursing care provided in Nursery during designated shift.
- Makes decisions regarding activities within the Nursery based on Administrative Operational Standards, Nursing Administrative Standards, Human Resource Standards, and Standards of Care for Nursery services with collaboration with the Director or Manager in unusual situations.
- Assumes responsibility for the efficient management of patients including but not limited to assessments and care planning
- Demonstrates and maintains competencies in all aspects of newborn care and able to delegate appropriately.
- Demonstrates knowledge and properly documents in a timely manner all patient assessment, vital signs, critical results, care planning, and education
- Organizes and maintains proper equipment and supplies needed for newborn care
- Maintains effective communication with leadership, physicians, co-workers, patients and visitors to promote patient safety and satisfaction
- Ensures implementation of operational standards which promote the maintenance of patient rights for the newborn and parents
- Demonstrates knowledge of & practices the ICARE philosophy on a daily basis by interacting in a positive manner with all patient, visitors and colleagues
- Demonstrates knowledge and maintains all quality initiatives which include but are not limited to Core Measures, Risk Reduction Initiatives and Patient Satisfaction
- Demonstrates professionalism by maintaining proper dress code, telephone etiquette, and projecting positive image and attitude
- Completes other activities as assigned
Last Edited: 02/22/2019